Add documentation on importing an external Wordpress.com site to the Commons
A faculty member asked us how to migrate a Wordpress.com site into the Commons. It would be great to add this topic to the FAQ's at https://help.commons.gc.cuny.edu/ under the heading "How do I Import an External WordPress Site into the Commons"? I've already written this up and can add it to the page if you tell me how, or can send it to whomever will add it.
#2 Updated by scott voth over 2 years ago
We already have this page: https://help.commons.gc.cuny.edu/importing-and-exporting-site-content/ We can definitely add it as a FAQ. Good idea! Maybe you can provide your content and we can incorporate into this page? Or if you want to make it specific to wordpress.com we can add another page.
#3 Updated by Krystyna Michael over 2 years ago
Hi Scott - Sorry for the delay on this--I linked to these [external instructions](https://my.bluehost.com/hosting/help/wp_migrate) that include a video, and also wrote out CAC-specific instructions, which I'm including below. Let me know what you think and how would be best to proceed!
- First, go to the Commons and create your new site. You can see instructions for how to [create a site here](https://help.commons.gc.cuny.edu/create-a-site/).
- [Add the authors](https://help.commons.gc.cuny.edu/how-to-add-new-users-to-a-site/) of the posts from your original site as users to your Commons site.
- Then, go to your wordpress.com site, enter the dashboard (you can do this by adding "/wp-admin" to the end of the URL), click on "Tools" in the lower-lefthand corner, and then click "Export" in the dropdown menu that appears.
- On the next screen, click "Start Export" under the free option for exporting.
- Keep the default selection of "All Content" selected and click "Download Export File." Save the file somewhere you can easily locate it.
- Go to your new Commons site, enter the dashboard, click "Tools," and then click "Import."
- Click "Run Importer."
- Click "Choose File" and search for the XML file that you downloaded from your old site, click "open," then click "Upload file and import."
- On the next screen, assign authors to the posts and check the box for "Download and Import File Attachments" and click "Submit."
#4 Updated by scott voth over 2 years ago
Hi - I took your content and integrated it in this page - https://help.commons.gc.cuny.edu/importing-and-exporting-site-content/
Hope this is okay. Feel free to make changes as needed.