Making sure option to log in is available on all pages?
Noticed that if I click through to a group invite on my iPhone and I'm not logged into the Commons, I get a Page Not Found page, but there's no option on that view to login to the Commons (screenshot from phone attached).
Would be great to have a login option on that page that would reload to facilitate accepting invite. Not sure where else this issue exists, but think it's worth making sure there's an option to log in on every view.
#1 Updated by Boone Gorges almost 5 years ago
- Category name set to Toolbar
- Status changed from New to Assigned
- Assignee set to Daniel Jones
- Target version set to 1.8.13
Thanks for the report, Luke. Can you please share the URL you're clicking on in your email?
Dan, can I ask you to dig into this for the next minor release? It's a fairly significant usability problem. There appear to be two related things happening:
1. In responsive mode (looks like < 980px?) we show a different version of the toolbar. This toolbar doesn't include, or at least doesn't show, our custom buttons. This includes the Log In link. We ought to add it.
2. Most BuddyPress protected content is protected by a function called `bp_core_no_access()`. If we detect that you don't have access to the content, then you're bounced to wp-login.php with a notice that you have to be logged-in to access the content in question. That's apparently not happening with /members/yourname/groups/invites/. Maybe it's because we're not adding the nav item soon enough? wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-groups/bp-groups-loader.php. (In my tests, the redirect is actually working; maybe I'm misunderstanding Luke's report.)
Fixing 1 would probably be good enough for the minor release. Item 2 might have to be a BuddyPress patch, which would take longer to put together.
#3 Updated by Luke Waltzer almost 5 years ago
It's the link to the group that returns the page not found: http://commons.gc.cuny.edu/groups/boone-hidden-test/
The accept/reject link takes you to the login page.
#4 Updated by Boone Gorges almost 5 years ago
Ah, good to know. That's not really a bug (the group is supposed to be hidden, after all) but it's pretty poor UX to be sharing the link with a non-member. Let me think about a larger solution for that.
The login link in the mobile toolbar is something we can definitely do right away.
#5 Updated by Boone Gorges almost 5 years ago
- Status changed from Assigned to Resolved
- Assignee changed from Daniel Jones to Boone Gorges
In https://github.com/cuny-academic-commons/cac/commit/3a05ba4e0c73b078d46f2023b36676cfa84feacd I added the Log In button when viewing the site on a narrow viewport. It's an incomplete solution to the problem of what to do with the toolbar when on a mobile device, but it's a reasonable solution to the more specific problem described in this ticket.