Forum file limit
Today I tried to attached a PDF to a party announcement. The PDF was 3.2M
The message wound up going through but the attachment was not allowed to post because it exceeded the file attachment size limit. I should have noticed that before I posted, but I didn't see that there.
I have two thoughts about this:
1. that's a pretty small file size limit given the size of typical PDF and image files these days. After going back to Adobe Acrobat and exporting to a reduced file size, it was still 2.3M. Is a 2M file size limit too small? Can we accommodate larger?
2. I would have preferred it if the post had brought up an error message and would not have gone through instead of what happened -- that the message posted without the attachment. Since it was cross-posted across two fora, I then had to follow up individually on each forum post to explain that the file I had said would be attached wasn't attached, and also (because I couldn't upload it) that it was available at a Dropbox link that I then shared.
This was all announcing an end-of-semester party about which I was trying to generate some excitement, so the need to double post in two different fora was kind of a downer ;)
#1 Updated by Boone Gorges 5 months ago
- File Peek 2021-12-13 16-46.gif Peek 2021-12-13 16-46.gif added
- Category name set to Group Forums
- Status changed from Assigned to Staged for Production Release
- Target version set to 1.18.24
I've made two changes to address this.
1. I added some client-side validation. If you add a file that's over the upload limit, the file-size dialog turns red, and you can't submit the form. See attached gif. https://github.com/cuny-academic-commons/cac/commit/3835a7f92171fbdfed2761351a1c0f2de0100c08
2. I forced the bbPress attachment upload limit to match WP's upload limit, which is far higher. https://github.com/cuny-academic-commons/cac/commit/2513539e5b96f78b7dd010bc20bddec261308cf0