Upgrade CommentPress to Latest Version
The provost has agreed to publish drafts for his next book online, Matt advises that we use Comment Press to accomplish this task.
Our current version of the Commentpress theme and plugin are slightly out of date and the latest version (3.4.3) adds support for more advanced WordPress features, namely child theming.
We need to update The Commons network to use the newest version, now called CommentPress core:
#2 Updated by erin glass almost 9 years ago
Thanks Dom for beginning this thread on Redmine. (Also, when should I use Redmine and when should I use the Digital Fellows Sandbox?)
I see that the Commons is currently using CommentPress 3.2. If I understand the notes for the new release correctly, this upgrade shouldn't negatively affect sites currently using the theme:
The name has been changed from "CommentPress" to "CommentPress Core" for two reasons: (a) because it serves as the basis for extending it for your purposes and (b) to safeguard historical installations, which could break if they upgrade. Newer "CommentPress" installations (versions 3.0.x - 3.3.x) can upgrade to the current version.
Let me know how I can help coordinate the update.
#3 Updated by Dominic Giglio almost 9 years ago
Here's a good rule-of-thumb for Redmine vs Sandbox:
If you have a question for me regarding something you're trying to do in WordPress, then that question belongs in the Sandbox forums. If your issue pertains to something that happens on the commons itself, it belongs here.
In this specific situation, the Sandbox was the correct place to go first. Once we decided that this was something that we need to address for the commons it was moved here.
I expect that we'll run into a few issues during this upgrade. It's a pretty significant change to the code and structure. Luckily we only have a handful of sites using it. You're primary contribution will be from testing and providing feedback on what does and does not work. I will concentrate on working with the existing sites to ensure their upgrade goes as smoothly as possible. I'll use your feedback to help guide the existing sites onto the new version.
#7 Updated by Matt Gold almost 9 years ago
Our aim is to get the site up by the start of the next semester, which gives us until the end of January. Perhaps the thing to do is to have Erin and other other fellows develop locally while they're waiting for the CAC conversion to take place?
In any case 1.4.14 would be fine, though I wouldn't want to go beyond that if possible. Again, this is a high-profile project for the GC/Commons/Fellows.
#8 Updated by Dominic Giglio almost 9 years ago
I'll definitely get the new plugin added for 1.4.14.
It would be a good idea to have Erin start to look at the plugin locally. If for no other reason than to get a feeling for how things are activated and communicate inside this new version of the plugin.
Erin, if you run into early issues, because this is a more advanced plugin, don't tear your hair out. My finals are only a few days away, which means I'll be on this almost full time very soon.
I assume the transfer will be a little easier in this case, because the new plugin has a different name. So we "should" be able to start working with it on the new Provost site while simultaneously working to move the existing sites over without rushing the process.
#9 Updated by erin glass almost 9 years ago
Perfect! I've been playing with the plugin on my local dev site. After next week, I most likely won't have time to work on this project until early January.
Also, Matt suggested we focus on finishing the updates for the Luna theme and then work on Comment Press. But I suppose this depends on how much we think we can finish over the break. I'm flexible, so let me know your thoughts (after your finals!).
Good luck with your finals and have a great holiday!
#11 Updated by Dominic Giglio almost 9 years ago
- Target version changed from 1.4.14 to 1.4.15
I've added the newest (re-written) version of Commentpress, now called CommentPress Core, for the 1.4.14 release.
I've verified in my local install that the new version's name change does indeed prevent it from interfering with the current version that's activated on the production site. We should be able to simultaneously build the new CommentPress Core site while working with any existing users to bring their sites up to the new version.
I'm bumping this ticket to 1.4.15 so we can begin working on building the new site and continue that conversation here.