Fellowship website layout bug
I'm writing because the recent Commons update seems to have dismantled the layout of the homepage of the Fellowships and Funding webpage. We were in the middle of doing final edits before launch, so hoping to resolve this issue soon. Let me know about any steps I should take.
Here's the website url: https://fellowships.commons.gc.cuny.edu/
The password is fellowships2013.
#1 Updated by Dominic Giglio about 8 years ago
Summer was fine, went by WAY too fast. Hope your's was great.
It looks broken in Safari but appears to work in Chrome. What browser are you using?
#7 Updated by Keith Miyake about 8 years ago
the problem is that the theme is trying to dynamically load a pretty outdated version of jquery after the main WP jquery call:
this breaks the slider and any other jquery functionality.
given the place in the header where this call is made, I have a feeling it's in the theme.
I just did a fresh install of luna on a blank site and saw the same header include so I'm almost positive that's the problem.
the easiest fix (that Dom or another admin has to do) is to just remove that line from the header.php or the static include in the theme's functions.php. Since they didn't enqueue the script I'm putting money on the header.php.
Removing the line in Chrome's Dev Tools got jquery up and working again.
#9 Updated by Dominic Giglio about 8 years ago
Sorry, been tied up with the startup I'm working on.
I'm looking at the theme right now and Keith is almost correct. Luna is enqueueing the old jQuery file in its
includes/custom/custom-functions.php file. As soon as I figure out the correct code to prevent this from being loaded in the header I will push up the fix and it will be working again after the next release (Wednesday).
I'll update again here as soon as I push up the fix.
#11 Updated by Dominic Giglio about 8 years ago
No need, Keith. I got it figured out. I created a function in the Fellowship's child
functions.php and attached it to the
wp_print_sctipts action. It effectively removes the registration of the offending jQuery version that's being loaded from Google, fixing the current issue with the slider on the homepage. I really didn't want to edit the Luna parent directly. I would have if there were no other options, but staying inside the child theme is always the best bet.
I am waiting on an answer from another issue right now, and as soon as I get that answer I'll be able to push this fix up for the release on Wed.
Thank you again for looking into this issue. Your feedback helped a lot.
#16 Updated by Dominic Giglio about 8 years ago
- Status changed from Assigned to Resolved
Glad we got it fixed and working Erin.
I've checked in Safari, Firefox and Chrome on my Mac and it looks good in all of them. If you find an error in another browser please open a new issue for that problem. I'm closing this one since it appears to be working fine.