Custom Domain on Commons - swipanalytic.org
Hello Commons Folk!
I would like the swipanalytic.commons.gc.cuny.edu web address to be swipanalytic.org for shorter posting on publicity etc. I recently purchased swipanalytic.org on www.gandi.net at the suggestion of Chris Caruso. He also said if I posted to Redmine you all would be able to give you instructions as to how to configure the domain at Gandi to make it work, so that's what I'm doing now. Please let me know what my next step is. Also, I was wondering if I can get the Commons extensions to show up on the new address like swipanalytic.org/about, swipanalytic.org/events, etc. Any help on this would be appreciated!
And while I'm posting can I also please request that the philosophy site be added to cuny.is/ so I can use cuny.is/philosophy in that publicity?
Philosophy Social Media Fellow
#1 Updated by Matt Gold about 5 years ago
- Category name set to WordPress (misc)
- Status changed from New to Assigned
- Assignee set to Boone Gorges
Hi Marilynn -- I'll let Boone respond with details but I'll note that there are two steps here -- one we can take on the Commons and one we'll need to ask IT to help with. We're happy to help. Once the domain is mapped, it will cover all pages on your site.
Regarding the cuny.is thing, can you please create a separate ticket? We try to keep one issue per ticket to keep a handle on the workflow of the dev team. Thanks!
#2 Updated by Boone Gorges about 5 years ago
- Assignee changed from Boone Gorges to Matt Gold
- Target version set to Not tracked
Hi Marilynn -
It's a three-step process.
1. We'll contact our network team to configure our server as necessary to expect your domain. (Matt, you've done this in the past. Could I ask you to do it this time too?)
2. Once you've heard back from us that the first step is done, you'll need to point your new domain's A record at our IP: 220.127.116.11. Assuming gandi.net is handling your DNS, here is the relevant help page: http://wiki.gandi.net/en/dns/zone/a-record.
3. When you've let me know that you've switched your DNS, I'll make the final remaining necessary changes on the Commons.
#4 Updated by Matt Gold about 5 years ago
Funny -- GC IT just updated the ticket today, asking you to change your domain registrar info before it changes the server configuration. We've conveyed the fact that we think the GC IT server configuration should happen first and are currently waiting for a response.
#8 Updated by Boone Gorges about 5 years ago
Hi Marilynn - Thanks for the update. I've run some tests on the public DNS records for swipanalytic.org, and it looks like there is a problem that's causing it to be broken somehow. I see that the domain is set to use Gandi's nameservers, but there is no A or CNAME record set for the domain. Could I ask you to double-check your settings (and in particular, to check that you have an A record as per http://wiki.gandi.net/en/dns/zone/a-record)?
(I'm pretty sure this is not a case of the DNS not yet being propagated. Previously, the domain was resolving with Gandi, but now it's not, which makes me think that your changes went through, but they're incorrect.)
#11 Updated by Boone Gorges about 5 years ago
- Status changed from Reporter Feedback to Assigned
Thanks, Marilynn. Looks good on your end.
Matt, it looks like the domain is configured incorrectly at the server level. When I set up the mapping in WP, I get a 403 error: "Forbidden You don't have permission to access / on this server." I interpret this as saying that the vhost is pointing at the wrong directory - it should be pointed to the webroot, not the server root. Could you please open a ticket?