1.7 Testing - Delete button not working on My Commons
When I began testing this morning it was working - but after 15 minutes or so, it just spins every time I click a delete button on a My Commons thread. I tried on Window 7 - Firefox and Chrome and also on a Mac with Chrome.
Also - I think it is unclear what “Delete” means. I am assuming it means to filter out the entry from your personal activity stream. Should it be instead called “Filter Out”?
In certain circumstances, I think when a comment is added to a post, or when you click on “Delete” you have an additional checkbox – “Prevent this page from creating additional dialogs?” I think the wording could be a little clearer - “Filter out any more comments on this post/topic” or something like that. I'm assuming it's meant to be used when you are tired of follow a thread.
#2 Updated by Raymond Hoh over 7 years ago
- Status changed from New to Resolved
- % Done changed from 0 to 100
The "Delete" button means that the activity item is removed forever.
The problem was the delete link was added to the bp-nelo theme without checking if the user could actually delete the activity item. This bug has existed since mid-2012!
I've just added a fix for this in 1.7.x branch. See commit b7cb016.
#3 Updated by scott voth over 7 years ago
- Status changed from Resolved to Testing Required
Thanks Ray! The delete button is now working for me. But I do notice that in some instances the button does not appear. Shouldn't it appear on every item?
Also, not related to any technical issues
- What about the other issue about what "Delete" means to a new My Commons user, and how we can make it clearer what the button does. (See original post - "Delete" vs "Filter Out".) (And I guess how to say that the "Filter Out" is permanent. Maybe we need a better label?)
- the additional checkbox – “Prevent this page from creating additional dialogs?” wording might be a little clearer - “Filter out any more comments on this post/topic” or something like that. I'm assuming it's meant to be used when you are tired of following a thread.
#4 Updated by Raymond Hoh over 7 years ago
But I do notice that in some instances the button does not appear. Shouldn't it appear on every item?
The "Delete" button should not appear on every item. You can only delete items that you have access to.
Regarding "Delete" vs. "Filter Out" text, I'll leave that to the UX team to decide. FWIW, I think "Delete" is pretty clear and "Filter Out" will cause more confusion because you are actually deleting the item forever and might be too wordy.
Regarding the "Prevent this page from creating additional dialogs" prompt, that is a message by Firefox. We can't change the text for that. The reason why this message pops up is because we ask the user to confirm whether or not s/he wants to delete the item. So if you try to delete more than one item, the Prevent message will pop up.
#5 Updated by Raymond Hoh over 7 years ago
Just to add, I think the "Favorite" button is more confusing than the "Delete" button.
If I am the end user, what happens after I favorite an item? You can't access your favorites on the "My Commons" page. You can only access them on the "My Activity > Favorites" page.
I would look to remove the "Favorite" button from the "My Commons" page.
#7 Updated by Samantha Raddatz over 7 years ago
Ray - I agree that the favorite button in Groups within My Commons is confusing. I think removing it is ideal.
I agree that both 'Filter out' and 'Delete' are unclear. I think specifying what is being deleted would be helpful, though it will make it more wordy. Would something like 'Delete This Thread' be clearer?
#8 Updated by scott voth over 7 years ago
The "Favorite" button might make more sense if we had an additional filter at the top of "My Commons" page called "My Favorites" - but that is probably a lot of work. Thanks for explaining the "Delete" button (and sorry I was so dense) - I would actually be in favor of taking it out - since it is confusing and probably won't be needed that much.
#9 Updated by Boone Gorges over 7 years ago
- Status changed from Testing Required to Resolved
Per the community team discussion today:
- Delete buttons are no longer being shown on My Commons: https://github.com/cuny-academic-commons/cac/commit/e2677d8f5e3759d33517daa1721b12a9a87bcd27
- Favorite buttons are no longer being shown on My Commons: https://github.com/cuny-academic-commons/cac/commit/8c0a9f38a17d5834149d42078e6426e36cb9ad3e
Going to mark this ticket as resolved, as I think removing these buttons pretty much resolves any issues laid out above. Thanks, all.