Files attached to Forum Posts
Modify function of attaching files to forum posts so that the files are stored and exposed in the Files tab.
#2 Updated by Boone Gorges almost 3 years ago
- Assignee changed from Boone Gorges to Samantha Raddatz
- Target version set to 1.10
There are a bunch of ways this could be accomplished. A new Library tab would be cool, but is too big a change for this purpose, I think. My short-term proposal is to thread forum attachments here along with existing Files (see eg http://commons.gc.cuny.edu/groups/cac-community-team-project-planning/documents/). Rows corresponding to forum attachments would differ in the following ways:
- "Uploaded by X on Y" will be "Uploaded by X on Y in the topic Z", where Z is a link to the forum topic
- The "Edit", "Replace", "Delete" links won't really work right, so I'm thinking I could replace them by "View in thread", which will take you to the forum post where it appears. Any management could take place in that space.
Assigning to Sam for the OK on this plan.
#4 Updated by Boone Gorges almost 3 years ago
- File Screenshot_2016-07-21_13-10-49.png Screenshot_2016-07-21_13-10-49.png added
- Status changed from Assigned to Testing Required
A first pass at this functionality is ready to test on cdev https://github.com/cuny-academic-commons/cac/commit/471ab33749323f137db98d2c6c963c0a91450be3
A screenshot is attached to show you what it looks like:
- The first item on the list is a regular File upload, done by the logged-in user. That's why you can see the Edit/Replace/Delete links.
- The second item is a forum post attachment. All group members will see the "View in Thread" link.
- The third item is a regular File upload, uploaded by someone else (so the current user can't edit, etc).
You can see a live version of this in any cdev group. See eg http://cdev.gc.cuny.edu/groups/scotts-test-group/documents/
Sam, can you do a UX review and let me know whether this is sufficient for the 1.10 release? Thanks!
#6 Updated by Matt Gold almost 3 years ago
Hi Boone -- I think this looks really great. Many thanks!! This is a great step towards consolidating things on the Commons, and I think people will appreciate it.
One question: will the people who uploaded the original item be allowed to delete it from the file list? Or is there always, no matter what (in contrast to other types of files uploaded directly to the files section)?
#7 Updated by Boone Gorges almost 3 years ago
- Status changed from Testing Required to Resolved
Great - thanks, Matt and Sam!
To respond to your shared question: Users cannot delete or edit their own attachments. This is a limitation of the forum attachment plugin that we use - it's unrelated to the Files integration I've built here. (The Files integration just makes the lack of parallel more obvious.) It's possible for site Administrators to delete attachments, and we can configure the plugin so that Editors or Authors can do so as well, but it's not possible without some custom development to allow users to do it themselves. There's maybe an argument for implementing that feature, but I'd suggest we do it as part of a separate ticket so we don't hold up the current improvement.
Thanks for testing!