Build Flexibility for Image Choices into Featured Content Widget
Per our conversation in ticket 342 , the display of a featured blog on our homepage through the featured content widget can be awkward, since it shows the avatar of the blog admin. It would be nice to be able to upload and/or choose an image so that blog admins wouldn't feel embarrassed by having their personal avatars in bold relief on the front page of the Commons.
#1 Updated by Matt Gold over 8 years ago
Just wanted to note that this is still an issue and that I think it's important; not having flexibility makes it harder to keep the homepage dynamic. Case in point: I wanted to feature a blog today, but didn't because it just looks too incongruous to have one person's photo next to a group blog (see attached screenshot)
Here are two ways to deal with this that make sense to me:
1. Allow the admin editing the widget upload a photo or point to one via URL
2. Show images from that particular blog's media gallery as options and allow the admin to choose one of them.
I know that this isn't the sexiest thing on our list, but I would love to be able to feature blogs more often.
#4 Updated by Boone Gorges over 8 years ago
- File cac-featured-content-1134.diff cac-featured-content-1134.diff added
- Status changed from Assigned to Resolved
In https://github.com/castiron/cac/commit/c9b8adc5e5a6a6cc69b9d96627e4f211bf565ab6 I added the ability for admins to specify an image URL for featured blogs and featured blog posts. A few notes:
- In order to make this work, I had to hack up the plugin and the TimThumb library in ways that are not secure for distribution, which means that we're now running a fork of the plugin. I have attached a diff file (cac-featured-content-1134) which can be reapplied to our local version when we need to make other changes. (The workaround for this - assuming there is one - would take me many, many hours, and doesn't really seem worth it at the moment.)
- You'll see the new Image URL fields for all content types, but they only work for Blogs, Posts, and Resources. If you enter an image for a Group or Member, nothing will happen - it'll fall back on the avatar.
- The logic for auto-selecting images (#773) is still in place as the fallback. Leave the URL field blank, and the plugin will behave as it currently does.