Library search widget broken by new services platform
Yesterday CUNY libraries a new "services platform," and the central change to me seems to be a new catalog setup that requires searches for library items to go through OneSearch:
An unfortunate upshot is that this breaks the library search that we offer for the sidebar and other widget areas on sites like these:
And a good many more sites. Is there anything to do to fix this, or is it perhaps too big a task and we disable? Not sure too if this affects other integrations with the Library, as it seems all links to the old catalog are broken now.
#1 Updated by Boone Gorges almost 2 years ago
- Status changed from New to Staged for Production Release
- Target version set to 1.17.1
Well, that's annoying. Thanks for catching it!
I've made the necessary adjustments in https://github.com/cuny-academic-commons/cac/commit/30000803b1134b29454e0cbc31f2dcf4f9e3e6f4. Mostly this was just a small change to the syntax of the query. But I also found that, as far as I can see, there's no longer a generic CUNY OneSearch. It can only be used with respect to a specific campus. So I went through each campus that didn't previously have a specific OneSearch ID, and I associated it with the campus that I think is most relevant. If someone wants to check my work, that'd be fine. https://github.com/cuny-academic-commons/cac/blob/b3322f01471f59d6e4a18ed8195ddd54966530c9/wp-content/mu-plugins/cuny-campuses.php#L33
#4 Updated by Maura Smale almost 2 years ago
Matt Gold wrote:
Hi All -- I believe that CUNY Libraries are making a pretty significant shift in its search services, to an entirely new backend platform. I've cc'ed Maura here. Maura, can you please help/advise?
Hi everyone, yes, the new library systems platform finally went live on 8/3. I know that the folx at the Office of Library Services tried hard to make sure old code and links wouldn't break, but our last system is end of life (and we were several versions behind) so I don't think that was possible in every case.
Who did you work with (I assume at OLS?) to implement the library search widget initially? I'd imagine they could give you new code easily, and I'd suggest contacting them first -- if you hit any snags let me know and I'll ask who best to contact.
Sorry for this extra work!
#6 Updated by Boone Gorges almost 2 years ago
Thanks for chiming in, Maura!
I don't recall working with anyone when I built the search widget. I just looked at the official OneSearch search tool, and reverse-engineered the relationship between URLs on the one hand and searches/campuses on the other. The changes in the rebuild are mostly small things in the URL structure and the way that campuses are identified - changes that are annoying in that they are small, but large enough to break the existing implementation :) I think I mostly figured it out, so I don't think I need any more help, but I will be sure to reach out to someone at OLS to get help if we expand this in the future.