Merge CAC Featured Content customizations with distribution version
In order to make CAC Featured Content work (sort of) well on the Commons, I had to make a bunch of modifications to the plugin. Some of the modifications have been slapdash, or at the very least not compatible with a more general release. So the version that we are running on the Commons is essentially a fork.
I've since had cause to work on the Featured Content plugin for another project, and I have done quite a bit of improvement to the release version. I should take some time to look at the ways in which the CAC version still diverges from the release version, and do what I can to eliminate them, so that we can run the proper version and not have to worry about upgrade issues.
See also #1453, which is blocked by this ticket.
#5 Updated by Boone Gorges over 9 years ago
In https://github.com/castiron/cac/commit/cf48481e775bfb242ac83b894f5d290ca14eee8c#wp-content/plugins/cac-featured-content, I move bring the Commons master branch version of the plugin up to date with the distribution version.
#6 Updated by Boone Gorges over 9 years ago
- Status changed from Assigned to Resolved
OK, I think I've made enough changes to make this work, so I'm going to close it as resolved.
Dom, this plugin is an awful mess. While you're working on #1453, if you find that there are ways you can clean the plugin up (bringing into line with WP coding standards, switching some custom functions out for WP/BP-native ones, removing redundancy, increasing consistency, etc), and you can do so without spending a huge amount of time doing so, please feel free.
#7 Updated by Dominic Giglio over 9 years ago
I've been working on your suggestion of setting up a separate local testing env for looking into this plugin. I tried to read through the whole plugin from top to bottom this weekend, and I'd say I understand some of its functionality but most is still a little over my head. I will say though, a lot of that is probably because (as you said), it is a mess. I know that's not your fault, it's just how this plugin has evolved. I think that's much more likely to happen when a collection of code is inherited.
I have a separate env setup with just WP 3.3, the latest BP and this plugin as a submodule from your GitHub repo. I've started testing it in this env but haven't gotten much farther than that. I hope to have time to dive into it more tomorrow (in class today). I will pull down all these changes and will hopefully have some constructive feedback afterwards.