Embedding videos with Block editor
An ed tech at Hunter is working on a great teaching resource site for hunter faculty: https://weekzero.commons.gc.cuny.edu/
On the site, they are embedding a lot of videos from different sources and using the block editor to create nicely laid out pages. However, several of the embed codes for outside content does not work with block editor. The keep having to swtich betwen block/classic editor and this throws off the lay out.
Would it be possible to:
1. Update the voicethread embed process to be possible on block editor. (This doesn't work currently)
2. Create custom embed code/block for Adobe videos (example: https://express.adobe.com/video/xj6Gz)
Updated by Boone Gorges 2 months ago
Can you please give specifics on how the existing "embed codes" don't work? Exactly what is being put into the editor, what do you expect to happen, and what in fact happens?
Updated by Raymond Hoh 2 months ago
- Category name set to Shortcodes and embeds
- Status changed from New to Reporter Feedback
- Assignee set to Raymond Hoh
- Target version set to 2.1.1
1. For Voicethread, you should be able to use the
Embed block to paste in your Voicethread URL. Voicethread embed URL should match the share URL. (See #11036.) Example:
https://hunter.voicethread.com/share/11933275/. If the Voicethread embed is not working, can you share the Voicethread URL the user is attempting to embed?
2. For Adobe Express, the sample URL is embeddable, but WordPress oEmbed restrictions prevent it from working correctly. (WordPress adds the iframe sandbox='allow-scripts' attribute to untrusted oEmbed providers. This breaks the Adobe Express embed from working as it also needs
sandbox="allow-scripts allow-same-origin" for it to work.) The way around this is to register Adobe Express as an oEmbed provider. I've just done so in https://github.com/cuny-academic-commons/cac/commit/e79894b96e1e7cca5735e0ef7e932bc853c71037. After next Tuesday's release, you should be able to embed Adobe Express items by simply pasting the URL on its own line or in the
Updated by Laurie Hurson 2 months ago
Thanks for this update.
Sorry I was waiting to hear back from the user for more details. Nothing yet but I think this is resolved.
I was able to get the voicethread emebed working through the embed block. I will try out the Adobe next week and report back to you all and the hunter ed tech.
Updated by Boone Gorges about 1 month ago
- Target version changed from 2.1.1 to 2.1.2
Updated by Laurie Hurson about 1 month ago
- Status changed from Reporter Feedback to Resolved