Slow page load on a blog
A member has reported that his blog is loading slowly. He thinks it might be due to the counter plugin being used. Thoughts?
#1 Updated by Boone Gorges over 6 years ago
I've confirmed the slowness, and I've confirmed that Firestats is causing the problem. Not the plugin itself, but the widget - it's pretty slow at loading info from its own database for display.
If this were my plugin, I would do two things to make the widget quicker:
1) Cache the stats data so that it only needed to be requeried every couple of minutes, instead of every page load
2) Load the widget data asynchronously, so that it doesn't hold up the page load
We could conceivably write our own plugin that deregisters Firestats's widget and reregisters our own version of it, which does the two things I describe above. This would take a few hours of dev time.
I propose that, for the time being, the user consider disabling the Firestats widget. In the medium term, we could consider the improved widget for a future feature release.
#2 Updated by Matt Gold over 6 years ago
User reports slow page load issue resolved through the following steps:
To Speed Up Firestats When the Database Starts to Slow Down Access to the Blog
Go to Dashboard
Go to Firestats (Upper Left Hand Corner)
Go to Settings
Go to Compact Old Data
Set Desirable Settings (i.e.one month) and Compact Now
#4 Updated by Matt Gold over 6 years ago
- Tracker changed from Bug to Support
- Assignee changed from Boone Gorges to scott voth
- Priority name changed from Normal to Low
- Target version changed from 1.4.6 to Not tracked
Thanks, Dom. Moving this to support and assigning this to Scott. Scott, can you document this fix in the codex and let me know when it's up? We can close the ticket then. Thanks.