Contact Form 7 Plugin
One of our members recently reported having problems with the Contact Form 7 plugin on the CUNY Online Baccalaureate Writing Fellows blog: http://bacwritingfellows.commons.gc.cuny.edu/.
Here's a history of the issue:
- Emails were going where they were supposed to go, but often didn't include the "required" email address field. Upon testing, the member discovered that when she included the email field sometimes it would and sometimes it wouldn't be included in the body of the email
- The contact form page had two "forms" to complete
- A few days ago, the emails stopped going to the address listed in the plugin settings and instead went to one of our Commons' gmail accounts
- After the member disabled the plugin and removed the shortcode from the page one of the forms was removed from the page, but the bottom form still appeared
I advised the member to delete the contact page and create a new one that just included the email (not the contact form) until we determine what the issue is. I just activated the plugin on a test site and it goes to the email address I have listed in the settings, but also noticed that there are two contact forms on the page instead of one.
#2 Updated by scott voth over 6 years ago
Hi Sarah - I just tested this on the Help Wanted site where we use it, and on a brand new site on the Commons that I set up with no other plugins. I did notice that the required email field is not getting passed back in the email on both sites. I'm sure that it used to be passed back. I am still getting the emails - and I don't see the duplicated forms. That part is pretty weird. Maybe Boone can tell what's going on.
#4 Updated by Boone Gorges over 6 years ago
Scratch that request. I figured out the duplicate issue. There are a number of themes on the Commons that have Contact templates. if you're using one of these themes, and you create a page with the slug 'contact', it automatically provides contact form markup for you. When you then add a Contact Form 7 form, you get a second one.
IMO this is a confusing theme feature, but in any case not really a bug.
I'll continue to investigate the other issues.
#5 Updated by Boone Gorges over 6 years ago
- Status changed from Assigned to Reporter Feedback
- Target version set to 1.4.21
I just tested and here's the email sent:
From: Boone Gorges <firstname.lastname@example.org> Subject: oeurhcoeu Message Body: rchrch -- This mail is sent via contact form on CUNY Pie http://cunypie.local.cicdev.com
The email shows up in corner brackets after the name. Is this not what's expected?
#17 Updated by Sarah Morgano about 6 years ago
I just tested this on the Commons Team Testing blog and the email didn't come through even though it was a required field. This is what I received:
This mail is sent via contact form on Commons Team Testing http://commonsteamtesting.commons.gc.cuny.edu
#28 Updated by Boone Gorges over 5 years ago
- Target version changed from 1.5.8 to Not tracked
Sorry for the delay on this. I spent some time tonight and I think I tracked down the issue.
Basically, Contact Form 7 is working as expected. If you look at the source of a message sent via the contact form, the email address is showing up, in corner-brackets, where it's supposed to. The issue is that mail clients see an email address between corner brackets and interpret it as a piece of markup, which doesn't display properly in the body of an email. If, on the other hand, you escape the brackets like I've done in the "Message body" section here: http://commonsteamtesting.commons.gc.cuny.edu/wp-admin/admin.php?page=wpcf7&message=saved&post=18, it works as expected.
Can you play with this and see if you find the same thing?
#29 Updated by Boone Gorges about 5 years ago
- Category name changed from WordPress (misc) to WordPress Plugins
- Status changed from Reporter Feedback to Resolved
Going to close this ticket as resolved, based on my workaround posted above. Sarah, if you still find that you're having troubles, please feel free to reopen with details.