TinyMCE 4 - Pasting from Word to Firefox strips formatting
Report from Tony Picciano:
Sorry to bother you but a small issue has arisen with the latest version of the Commons. In composing a new post for a blog, I notice that the spacing between paragraphs has gone a bit awry. I have to double and triple space between paragraphs in order to format a blog post properly. I also have noticed that when you copy and paste text that has a url address embedded that the url address is stripped. In previous versions of the Commons, the embedded url address was kept intact. I hope this makes sense to you.
I am working around these but I thought you should know.
I've asked him for OS/browser info and will update this ticket when I have it.
#3 Updated by Raymond Hoh about 8 years ago
- Status changed from Assigned to Reporter Feedback
Just did some paragraph and copy-and-paste testing on Firefox (Win 8.1) using WP 3.9.1 and couldn't duplicate Tony's problems.
Is this only happening inside the editor or on the actual post itself? Could be a plugin conflict. What is the blog URL in question and what plugins are running on this blog?
I'll test this on comtest once I know these details.
#4 Updated by Matt Gold about 8 years ago
- File Problem Ms- Word 1.jpg Problem Ms- Word 1.jpg added
- File Problem Internet Explorer 2.jpg Problem Internet Explorer 2.jpg added
- File Problem Mozilla 3.jpg Problem Mozilla 3.jpg added
Response from Tony:
To help with this, attached please find three screenshots. The Ms-Word screenshot is the text that I am copying and pasting into a new posting page. The Internet Explorer screenshot is the result of this paste on a new posting page using IE as the browser.. The Mozilla screenshot is the result of this paste on a new posting page using Mozilla. If you notice the results on the IE page, all of the spacing and branch urls are exactly the same. If you look at the Mozilla results, all the spacing is gone, every line is single-spaced and the branch urls are no longer active.
I noticed this problem when one of the new versions of Wordpress went up (at the same time that the little box for cutting and pasting MS-Word files was eliminated).
#5 Updated by Raymond Hoh about 8 years ago
- Subject changed from Blog editing issues - small bugs to TinyMCE 4 - Pasting from Word to Firefox strips formatting
Thanks for the screenshots, Matt. That helped to explain the problem.
This is definitely a problem with upgrading to the latest version of WordPress, which upgraded TinyMCE (the editor that WP uses) and broke Paste to Word functionality.
It appears to be a bug with TinyMCE:
Not much we can do on our end.Here is what I recommend:
- If Tony needs to paste from Word, use IE.
- Otherwise, use an alternative text editor like LibreOffice to copy the content and then paste into Firefox. I tested copying and pasting from LibreOffice and the formatting did not get stripped. I linked to the portable version of LibreOffice so Tony can test LibreOffice without installing it.
Update: It looks like a fix was added in the upcoming WordPress 3.9.2:
#6 Updated by Boone Gorges about 8 years ago
- Status changed from Reporter Feedback to Rejected
- Target version deleted (
Ray - Thanks very much for doing this research. It also looks like you can work around the issue in FF by pasting using Ctrl+V instead of the right-click dialog.
I agree that there's not much we can do here on the Commons. TinyMCE is too entangled with WP for us to consider rolling back. I'd guess that this problem will get fixed upstream in a future version, and we'll just inherit the patch.
Matt, would you please pass these findings along to Tony, with our apologies? Thanks.