email notification not received
Janey Oliphint Flanagan recently posted a message on the forum of CUNY Committee on Academic Technology (a private group) and did not receive an email notification, even though her email notifications are set correctly. She looked in her spam folder and it was not there either. She is concerned that no one else received the email. Is it possible to look in the logs to see if email notifications were sent out to the group members? And maybe troubleshoot why she did not recceive an email? It is an announcement of the forthcoming STEM conference.
#3 Updated by Boone Gorges over 4 years ago
- Assignee changed from Boone Gorges to Matt Gold
Email notifications are working in generally, and are working more specifically in the case where one is notified of one's own forum posts.
I can't check the mail logs because I do not have read access to them. Matt, can you please submit a request to either (1) give the Commons user access to /var/maillog*, or (2) put a copy of the last two or three mail logs somewhere where the commons user can read them?
#5 Updated by Boone Gorges over 4 years ago
- Status changed from Assigned to Reporter Feedback
- Assignee changed from Matt Gold to Boone Gorges
- Target version set to Not tracked
Scott, I looked at the mail logs and I see emails going to Janey's email address at precisely the times when she posted each forum post. That means that everything has gone correctly on the Commons end. One of the following things must have happened:
- It got lost in the ether
- Her incoming mail server (bmcc.cuny.edu) marked it as spam and discarded it before it even got to her mailbox
- It's actually in her mailbox (or spam folder) and she's missed it
It also looks like the email went out to all other relevant group members.