Load Newest inconsistencies
Right now Load Newest button is only showing for mobile devices and only on the Everything filter.
Ideally it would always show, but if it is too difficult right now to get it working with the filters then it could just be added for non-mobile sizes.
#2 Updated by Raymond Hoh almost 7 years ago
The "Load Newest" button should only show up when there are new posts based on the activity filter tab you have chosen.
eg. If you are on the "My Sites" tab, the "Load Newest" button should show up once there is a new post for the sites you are a member of or are following. Likewise, if you are on the "My Friends" tab, the "Load Newest" button should show up once a friend has posted a new item. "My Groups" works the same way, as does the "Everything" filter in theory.
If this isn't working as expected, let me know.
I should note that this shouldn't be limited to mobile devices, but should work on desktop browsers as well.
#3 Updated by Chris Stein almost 7 years ago
- File LoadNewest-Everything.png LoadNewest-Everything.png added
- File LoadNewest-MyFriends.png LoadNewest-MyFriends.png added
- File LoadNewest-MyGroups.png LoadNewest-MyGroups.png added
- File LoadNewest-MySites.png LoadNewest-MySites.png added
Thanks for the further info. If I understand right there is a script on the page that checks what's currently loaded vs the latest data available and shows the "Load Newest" if there is newer activity than what is show on the page. Is that right?Based on that assumption I did some testing on my laptop with two windows open. Screenshots are attached. On the left are windows that were left open, on the right are the latest version of those screens. What I found with that method was for the tabs:
- Everything: worked as expected
- My Friends: there was new activity but Load Newest did not show
- My Groups: worked as expected
- My Sites: Showed Load Newest but there was nothing new to show
I will try again later to see if I get similar results. Ideally I would do it on two different browsers (or computers) to make sure shared cookies (if you're storing data that way) aren't confusin things.
Two other thoughts
1. Scott should probably update the Codex page to mention a) that the page will update itself (the time updates without reload) and that Load Newest shows only if there is new content to load.
2. Maybe we can keep a button always visible but make it greyed out or have a different message if there is nothing new to load. This way people get used to seeing something there and can look to see if there is new data. I'd like to hear thoughts on that, it's just a quick idea at this point.
#4 Updated by Raymond Hoh almost 7 years ago
Try testing one browser in your browser's private browsing option. That should minimize the cookie conflicts.
Also thanks for your quick thoughts. Of the two, I would prefer the former option as the latter option would require overriding how BuddyPress does its latest activity checks, which, to me, would be too much work for minimal gain. I would probably make the 'Load Newest' button a sticky, floating link if we needed something more visually engaging.
Happy to hear other people's thoughts on this.
#5 Updated by Boone Gorges almost 7 years ago
- Target version changed from 1.7.1 to 1.8
I would prefer the former option as the latter option would require overriding how BuddyPress does its latest activity checks, which, to me, would be too much work for minimal gain. I would probably make the 'Load Newest' button a sticky, floating link if we needed something more visually engaging.
Not only this, but the "Load Newest" button - when working properly - will show up only fairly rarely. It doesn't make much sense to show it all the time.
#6 Updated by Boone Gorges over 6 years ago
It looks to me that perhaps no development work is needed here - maybe just a change in the codex. That is, unless Chris's reports in http://redmine.gc.cuny.edu/issues/3565#note-3 can be reproduced. Ray, is it possible that this is a BP issue? See eg https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6234
#8 Updated by Boone Gorges over 5 years ago
- Tracker changed from Bug to Documentation
- Assignee changed from Raymond Hoh to scott voth
- Target version changed from 1.9 to Not tracked
Can anyone verify whether there's still an issue to address here? If it's just a documentation issue, it can be removed from the milestone.