Multiple blogs per group
In some cases it would be useful to have more than one blog associated with a group.
This, along with some more general concerns that have been raised in the past about the group-blog link, might be a chance for us to revisit the issue of group blogs in a more thorough way.
As a side note, the BuddyPress team has recently been discussing the bp-blogs component, and what its future might look like. My opinion is that a lot of what bp-groupblog currently does (linking a blog to a group; syncing group/blog memberships; group activity stream synchronization for the blog) could conceivably become part of BuddyPress itself. So we might take this as an opportunity to think about that too.
Assigning to Samantha for some initial thoughts. Samantha, could you please have a look at the way groups and blogs currently work together? Create a new group, choose to set up a "group blog", and then mess around with it a little bit. I don't want to prompt you too much more than that, because I want you to look at this with a fresh pair of eyes.
Updated by Samantha Raddatz over 9 years ago
Here are my initial thoughts after going through the process:
- Since creating a blog and a forum are part of the set-up of the group, they feel like a one-time, final decision. Is that the case or could I come back later and add/remove a blog?
- Would it make sense to allow users to connect a Wordpress blog they already have to the group?
- After I set up the blog, there were a few more steps between that and the adding RSS feeds from other blogs. I wondered, at first, why I was back at blog-related stuff again. Hadn't I already done that?
- Once my group was set up, I clicked on 'Blog' to get to my fancy new blog. I got to the blog and was faced with a mostly-white page that only gave me a hint as to how to post. It took me a bit to realize that the name of the blog at the very top of my screen was a dropdown (should an arrow be added to that so it matches the other drop down menus?)and that I can access the full Wordpress CMS from there.
- Honestly, if I was setting up a new group and chose to have a blog, I probably would forget about it by the time I got to my new group and might not ever populate it. I think it would make sense to push the user to make a few more blog-related decisions while creating the group (theme, at least).
None of that really pertains specifically to creating more than one blog per group. Now that I've gone through the set up and poked around a bit, do you have other more-specific areas you'd like me to comment on, Boone?