Option to exit 'Create a Group' setup
When creating a group there should be an easy way to exit the setup that also lets users know how to finish later. Before the group is created, a simple cancel button will work (see creategroup_cancel.png). And if a group is created, there should be an option to exit and setup later (see creategroup_setuplater.png).
If the user closes the window before finishing the 9 steps, this should be clear when the user first goes to the group page (see group_page_mockup.png).
Also on the group page, the tabs under 'Manage' in the group menu should match the 9 steps to create a group as much as possible.
#1 Updated by Boone Gorges about 6 years ago
- Assignee changed from Boone Gorges to Raymond Hoh
- Target version set to Future release
Ray, can I ask you to have a look at these? My initial impression of the three suggestions:
1. The "Cancel" button during the first two steps should be a BP feature.
2. The "set up later" stuff seems OK, but I would want it to be minimally intrusive, since it's conceivable that someone might exit the group setup process because they want to accept all defaults. (I do this :) )
3. The tab order between group create and group manage is due to the fact that plugins can register different tab orders for these different processes. (This, in turn, is due in part to the fact that the create and manage screens necessarily have some tabs that they don't share.) To this extent, I'd suggest that we don't fix this.
But these are just initial impressions - Ray, please do chime in with your wisdom :)
#2 Updated by Stephen Real about 6 years ago
May I offer my 2 cents on this?
There are numerous tasks on The Commons where a user might want to bail out in the middle via a Cancel or Exit button. The solution to this 'bail out' should be consistent with other bail outs across The Commons, if possible, so that the user always does it the same way. (By the way, I have seen that Cancel/Exit is not always available, in which case navigating away from the page is the only option).
#3 Updated by Samantha Raddatz about 6 years ago
Thanks for your input Stephen -- I actually was looking into this option to exit/cancel the 'Create a Group' setup because of your earlier comment about needing that option throughout the site. I was having a hard time finding other instances when the user might need or want to exit a process. Let me know where else you have seen this, I agree that the style of it should be consistent throughout.
#4 Updated by Raymond Hoh about 6 years ago
1. Cancel - Just going to note that a group is created immediately after the first step. If we're going to add a cancel button, I say that we do not restrict the Cancel button at all; it should show up on all group step pages to have a consistent UX. Just to clarify that the "Cancel" button should remove the group from creation, correct?
2. Set Up Later - This can show up on the second step and up. The "Set Up Later" notice is definitely doable. IMO, it should show up only for the person that created the group.
3. Tab order - I agree that we shouldn't fix this for the same reason Boone has mentioned above.
#5 Updated by Stephen Real about 6 years ago
Following up on other tasks that may or may not require a "Bail Out". There is often no option to Cancel when creating new content, such as a blog post or a new Forum topic. I know that you can navigate away from the page, but what happens to the half posted content? I presume it remains cached until some sort of timeout. Cancel would feel more definitive to me.
When creating an event, you can "Move to Trash" which erases everything that you have entered but leaves you on the Create Event page.
Create Doc does have a Cancel button that takes you back to the previous page.
My preference in UX is for every task to have a clear, unambiguous Cancel that throws away everything that has not been committed to the database and returns the user to the previous page.
#6 Updated by Samantha Raddatz about 6 years ago
- File creategroup_cancel.png creategroup_cancel.png added
- File creategroup_setuplater.png creategroup_setuplater.png added
1. Yes, I think the Cancel button should remove the group from creation and can appear on all of the pages. I think a pop-up should warn the user the group and all settings will be deleted.
2. I agree that that if possible the Set Up Later bar on the new group page should only appear to the group’s creator.
3. Tab order is fine if it’s not easily altered.
See mockups attached here for Cancel button and Exit and Set Up Later link with differing pop-ups.
Thanks, Stephen, for pointing out the other areas that need a bail out option. I’ll look into each and create new tickets for areas that need the feature.
#7 Updated by Raymond Hoh about 6 years ago
Thanks for the mockups, Sam.
The buttons in the mockups are a little problematic.
- Generally, the "Leave Page" and "Stay on Page" buttons only show up if you type into a text field and attempt to leave the page. In the mockup and most group steps, there will not be a form field to type in.
I would suggest using the "OK" and "Cancel" buttons instead. You can test this functionality out here:
For the "Cancel" prompt, we could say something like:
Are you sure you want to cancel? Clicking on "OK" will delete the group and all its settings.
For the "Set Up Later" prompt, we could say something like:
Are you sure you want to exit? If you click "OK", we will leave a reminder for you to complete set up later on.
#8 Updated by Samantha Raddatz about 6 years ago
Got it, thanks Ray.
Using the 'OK' and 'Cancel' sounds good to me. And I like the text you suggested for the cancel prompt.
For the 'Set Up Later' prompt I think it would be useful to note where they can finish the set up: "If you click 'OK', you can still complete this set up in the 'Manage' tab on your new group page."
#9 Updated by Raymond Hoh almost 3 years ago
- File cancel-group.gif cancel-group.gif added
- Status changed from New to In Progress
- Target version changed from Future release to 1.14
Resurrecting this one since it's an easy win.
I've implemented the "Cancel" button during the group creation process. Reference - https://github.com/cuny-academic-commons/cac/commit/51e192197ea2c4b45792143be32c0c6824ec373d
See attached GIF: https://redmine.gc.cuny.edu/attachments/9371/cancel-group.gif
I did not implement the "Set Up Later" link outlined in this image since I wasn't sure how we would determine if the persistent notice as shown in this image would be removed. Would a group admin have to go through every group admin page or only certain admin pages? If we can come to some consensus, I can implement this link.
Would be great to hear some thoughts from Sonya and the rest of the team. Steve also raises some good points in comment 5. If we'd rather implement a cancel button for all other similar interfaces at the same time, then I can revert this addition and do a large sweep as part of a future milestone.
#11 Updated by Sonja Leix almost 3 years ago
Matt Gold wrote:
Thank you, Ray! this looks good to me. I've added Sonja as a watcher and temporarily assigned this issue to her for her feedback
The gif of the new implementation of the Cancel button Ray shared is looking good to me. The notice that pops up is great as well, as it explains what exactly happens.
I agree with Ray that implementing the "Set Up Later" option at this moment is not a good idea. Adding this option would require designing a proper workflow and creating rules on where the user would pick up and what cues they would get. If that is something we want to add, we should create a separate ticket for a future release and I'm happy to work designing the user flow and UI for it.