Post by email did not include attachment
I sent an email post to the CUNY DHI group. The post went through, but the attachment did not. Are attachments (PDF, in this case) supposed to be posted or are they routinely ignored?
Orignal message attached and here is the post -- https://commons.gc.cuny.edu/groups/digital-humanities-initiative/forum/topic/job-brooklyn-waterfront-research-center-project-coordinator/
#7 Updated by Raymond Hoh almost 4 years ago
- Status changed from Assigned to Testing Required
Okay, I've added support to add attachments to group forum items when replying by email.
It's a little late here, so I'll configure the development server tomorrow afternoon EDT. I'll update this thread with more info so we can get people to test this feature later next week.
#9 Updated by Raymond Hoh almost 4 years ago
This feature is ready to test on the development server.
1. Post a reply to a group forum thread to trigger an email notification.
2. Reply to that email from your email client and add an attachment.
3. If all goes well, you should see the attachments in the group forum thread as well as in group emails to anyone subscribed to the group.
I've tested with various image files and a PDF and this appears to be working.
- We abide by the filesize restriction settings of the GD bbPress Attachments plugin. On the dev server, the max filesize is 3MB.
- We abide by the maximum number of attachments you can upload setting from GD bbPress Attachments. On the dev server, this is 4.
- You should be able to upload any file that you can upload into the WordPress Media library.
- Currently, no feedback email is sent back to the author if the attachment filesize is too big. This should probably be added, but I haven't done so yet.
#10 Updated by Stephen Real almost 4 years ago
- File email generated by post.png email generated by post.png added
- File Small document.docx Small document.docx added
- File RBE message with attachment.png RBE message with attachment.png added
My test with a small file did not work.
This is the link to the forum I tried to post to--
The post succeeded, but the attachment is missing.
I am including the small MS Word file I attached and screenshots of the RBE email that I sent plus the emai generated by the post.
#11 Updated by Raymond Hoh almost 4 years ago
Thanks for testing, Steve.
I tested with the same .docx file and it works for me. However, I used the Thunderbird email client for attaching. It looks like you are using GMail web. I'll do some further testing on GMail web to see if I can duplicate the problem.
#15 Updated by Stephen Real almost 4 years ago
OK. From Outlook, I am able to successfully send attachments RBE. However, the post is kind of funky including other (extraneous, imo) info from the message. See the screenshot. The same info appears on RBE posts from Outlook even when there is no attachment.
#16 Updated by Raymond Hoh almost 4 years ago
Glad to hear that the attachment works.
About the extraneous info, this is expected behavior and isn't due to the new attachment code. The extraneous info is due to the text just before the "--- Reply ABOVE THIS LINE to add a comment ---" line when you make a reply. This is created by certain email clients.
I've made some attempts at stripping this text in the past, but it's hard to accommodate for all email clients. In this case, the text block beginning with "From" and ending with the email's subject line is hard to do a match for.
#18 Updated by Stephen Real almost 4 years ago
I have gotten this to work with several clients, but it consistently fails when using Airmail desktop client with Exchange served email messages. The text of the reply posts successfully to the forum, but the attachment is lost. The Airmail client does work with Gmail served messages.