Martin Segal Center site down
A long time ago, the GC's Martin Segal Center created a site and then mapped there from the following domains:
All of them point to https://thesegalcenter.commons.gc.cuny.edu. When I looked at it in November, the site was basically a blank page - no one had done anything on the site since 2018.
Now, their relatively new hire, Andie Lerner would like take over but the site appears as "under maintenance" on the front end, and I cannot fix it even by changing their theme. Looks like they had a custom theme - "MESTC".
Can you change the theme so that they can begin work on it? Thank you!
#1 Updated by Boone Gorges about 1 year ago
- Assignee set to Raymond Hoh
Ray, this was being caused by some odd Mercator issues. We've got lots of mapped domains in this case: https://commons.gc.cuny.edu/wp-admin/network/admin.php?action=mercator-aliases&id=1067&processed=1&did_action=deactivate&mappings=25 When this ticket was opened, the first 'thesegalcenter.org' mapping was marked 'Active' and the second 'Inactive'. I deactivated the one and activated the other, and the site started to load. I don't know if this is a symptom of a deeper problem, but I wanted to bring it to your attention, as I wasn't certain what "active" meant in this case.
#4 Updated by Raymond Hoh about 1 year ago
I've added Scott as a watcher. Marilyn, the site is now resolving as Boone fixed the mapped domain issue. Let us know if Andie needs to provide us with a new theme to use for the site.
I wasn't certain what "active" meant in this case.
The labelling is a misnomer.
Active, in our case, means Primary, because we use it to determine the main mapped domain to redirect all other mapped domains from:
As for why the site failed to load for the bare
thesegalcenter.org when set as the Active domain vs.
www.thesegalcenter.org, it looks like Mercator will prioritize mapped domains with the leading
www. over the bare one: https://github.com/humanmade/Mercator/blob/master/mercator.php#L147. Since we have mapped domain entries for both
www. and bare domain, Mercator would always return the
If we wanted to use the bare
thesegalcenter.org domain as Primary, I believe we should remove the
www.segalcenter.org mapping entry. I haven't tested this yet. I'm not sure if we want to do that or not.
Looks like this is related to this issue - https://github.com/humanmade/Mercator/issues/41#issuecomment-87667612