Project

General

Profile

Support #14344

arabstages.org site down

Added by Marilyn Weber 5 months ago. Updated 5 months ago.

Status:
Resolved
Priority name:
Normal
Assignee:
Category name:
Domain Mapping
Target version:
Start date:
2021-04-17
Due date:
% Done:

0%

Estimated time:

Description

Andie from Martin Segal Center is asking for my help with the mapped arabstages.org site. I can get to the dashboard at https://arabstages.commons.gc.cuny.edu/wp-admin, but arabstages.org just shows this, which I'm guessing is a mapping problem?

The CUNY Academic Commons is experiencing technical problems.

For more details, visit the Commons status blog.

Thanks for your patience.


Related issues

Related to CUNY Academic Commons - Support #13699: Martin Segal Center site downResolved2020-12-14

History

#1 Updated by Marilyn Weber 5 months ago

Possibly related to the problems here https://redmine.gc.cuny.edu/issues/13699?

#2 Updated by Boone Gorges 5 months ago

  • Assignee set to Raymond Hoh

I deleted the www.arabstages.org mapping and now arabstages.org is resolving. https://arabstages.org/

Do we need the www mapping as well? Maybe Ray can chime in on how it should be configured, if we do?

#3 Updated by Marilyn Weber 5 months ago

Looks good to me! www.arabstages.org just goes to the bare domain, so it doesn't seem to need anything.

#4 Updated by Raymond Hoh 5 months ago

#5 Updated by Raymond Hoh 5 months ago

  • Category name set to Domain Mapping
  • Status changed from New to Resolved
  • Target version set to Not tracked

Do we need the www mapping as well?

No, we don't need the trailing www. entry.

This is an issue when switching over to Mercator as noted here: https://redmine.gc.cuny.edu/issues/13699#note-4

In the older WPMU Domain Mapping plugin, some Commons sites had two mapped domains -- one with the trailing www. and the bare domain. When we switched to Mercator to handle mapped domains, Mercator will prioritize mapped domains with the trailing www. over the bare one. As I mentioned in the previous ticket, this is a bug with Mercator: https://github.com/humanmade/Mercator/issues/41#issuecomment-87667612

In the meantime, if the Commons site wants the bare domain to resolve, we can simply remove the entry with the trailing www. mapped domain like what Boone did here for arabstages.org.

If the Commons site wants the domain with the trailing www. to resolve, make sure the entry with the trailing www. is set as Active in Mercator, while the other one is set to Inactive. It might be safe to remove the bare domain entry as well.

I also just went through all mapped domains with trailing www. entries and one other site was affected: us-culturalmobility.org. I've just fixed that domain to resolve over www..

I'm going to mark this issue as resolved since arabstages.org is resolving properly now.

#6 Updated by Marilyn Weber 5 months ago

Terrific, thank you!

Also available in: Atom PDF