Design/UX #13998: Homepage Redesign
Screenshots of current/old Commons pages
Matt was wondering if there's a relatively easy way to grab screenshots for posterity of the Commons pages that will be changing when we launch the redesign. I thought Boone/Ray/Sara might know of a tool of some sort for doing this automatically. Otherwise, perhaps one of us could just manually grab shots of the homepage (public and non) and primary nav pages before we go live and store them as attachments in this ticket or some other safe place.
#1 Updated by Raymond Hoh 5 months ago
If we wanted to use a web service that offers a URL to screenshot API, there are a few out there that offer free plans like:
Those two services offer 100 screenshots per month for free.
If we are only going to capture a few pages though, should just do it manually.
#3 Updated by Raymond Hoh 5 months ago
Instructions to take screenshots in Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/take-screenshots-firefox
Instructions to take screenshots in Chrome: https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-screenshot-on-google-chrome#gpt-post-sai-desktop_in_post_ad-desktop-3
There are also browser extensions you can use, but these are the native browser solutions.
Also, I was checking out the Wayback Machine and you can view some older versions of the Commons there. The oldest one with CSS available is this page: https://web.archive.org/web/20091218083503/http://commons.gc.cuny.edu/.
#4 Updated by Raymond Hoh 5 months ago
- File commons.gc.cuny.edu_sites_.png commons.gc.cuny.edu_sites_.png added
- File commons.gc.cuny.edu_groups_.png commons.gc.cuny.edu_groups_.png added
- File commons.gc.cuny.edu_members_.png commons.gc.cuny.edu_members_.png added
- File commons.gc.cuny.edu_about_about-the-commons_.png commons.gc.cuny.edu_about_about-the-commons_.png added
- File commons.gc.cuny.edu_courses_.png commons.gc.cuny.edu_courses_.png added
- File commons.gc.cuny.edu_.png commons.gc.cuny.edu_.png added
I've attached screenshots of the primary nav items except the Events page (there's currently a bug in rendering it, going to look into it).