Launching Discussion of Group Forum Emails
Though the new email format is awesome, I think we might refine a bit. At least two issues:
- The Group origin of the email gets lost in the current design (both because it's appended to the end of the subject, and only visible as third link in first sentence of email)
- The recipient's name is the largest visible element in the email, which feels spammy and is distracting.
Related to this ticket: https://redmine.gc.cuny.edu/issues/5991
#1 Updated by Raymond Hoh about 5 years ago
Thanks for the helpful discussion about emails in this month's meeting.
My two cents regarding the email subject: Adding the author to the subject might not be necessary because the "From" email header should already contain the post author's name.
I also agree that the group name should be placed more prominently in the subject. Perhaps we can use the group slug instead of the group name in the email subject line since the group slug is generally shorter than the group name?
[cac-community-team-project-planning] A reply was added to the topic "2016-2017 Friday Meeting Dates"
"Boone Gorges" replied to the topic "2016-2017 Friday Meeting Dates" in the forum "CUNY Academic Commons Team"
This might also increase the usage to customize the group slug (or group link as we call it) (#307). So if more group admins decide to use this feature, we should make sure that group slug customization works the way we intend it to from a UX perspective.
#7 Updated by Raymond Hoh almost 5 years ago
Circling back to this, can we come to some consensus for some items in this ticket?
- Subject line - What format do we want to use?
- Email "From" name - Currently, this is set to the post author's name. Should this be changed to something else like "Author Name (CUNY Academic Commons)"?
- Salutation - Changing this to use the first name requires #2325 to be fixed first. Or we can change the salutation to something else.
#8 Updated by Raymond Hoh over 4 years ago
I'm going to make the following changes to group forum emails unless I receive any other feedback:
- Subject line - Removing
[CUNY Academic Commons]and replacing with either the group name or group slug
- From name - Changing this from
Author Name (CUNY Academic Commons)
- Salutation - Remove the
"Hi X"line entirely.
#10 Updated by Raymond Hoh over 4 years ago
- Status changed from New to Testing Required
I also decided to remove the "Hi NAME" salutation from all of our BuddyPress HTML emails except for group digests, since group digests repurposes the salutation to actually be useful.
This is available for testing on cdev.
Boone: I've updated the
ACTION_REQUIRED document for 1.11.x since this requires a change to the email post type title.