Project

General

Profile

Feature #11298

Explore Ways to Make the "Courses" tab More Interesting

Added by scott voth 3 months ago. Updated 19 days ago.

Status:
New
Priority name:
Normal
Assignee:
Category name:
Courses
Target version:
Start date:
2019-04-08
Due date:
% Done:

0%

Estimated time:

Description

Right now the "Courses" tab is just a data list of courses. Do we want to feature courses with a slider? Ore have a weekly featured course or a short video recording of a professor's thoughts about the course?

11298-courses-tab-v1.jpg (475 KB) 11298-courses-tab-v1.jpg first proposed mockup of featured courses. Basis for discussion. Sonja Leix, 2019-06-18 12:21 PM
Screenshot 2019-06-21 16.56.53.png (72.5 KB) Screenshot 2019-06-21 16.56.53.png Sonja Leix, 2019-06-21 07:00 PM

History

#1 Updated by Raymond Hoh 3 months ago

  • Target version set to Future release

Thanks for the suggestion, Scott.

I've added Colin and Matt as watchers to determine what we might want to do in a future milestone.

#2 Updated by Matt Gold 3 months ago

Hi Boone -- one thing Scott mentioned on a call was adding a slider at the top of the page. How difficult would that be in the current state of the page?

#3 Updated by Matt Gold 3 months ago

  • Target version changed from Future release to 1.15

#4 Updated by Boone Gorges 3 months ago

  • Assignee changed from Boone Gorges to Sonja Leix
  • Target version changed from 1.15 to 1.16

A slider of sorts is a good idea, but it would need spec-ing out and some visual design. We likely cannot use the same hero-slider tool from the homepage, at least not without modification to allow us to differentiate between homepage and Courses slides, so some development work would be needed.

We could explore introducing something into a 1.15.x release, but it's too late to conceive and build for 1.15.0.

#5 Updated by Matt Gold 3 months ago

Great -- thanks. and that timing makes sense

#6 Updated by Sonja Leix 3 months ago

Scott,
This is a great idea! Can we identify, based on the Common's and user goals, what type of features and what frequency of rotation would make most sense and I'm happy to draw something up visually.

Boone,
what's the sorting of the course archive page? Sorted by latest publishing date?
I assume we are planning to pull courses into this directory automatically based on the new meta data at some point. Can you share some thoughts around this for context. Thanks.

#7 Updated by Boone Gorges 3 months ago

Hi Sonja - Sort order is:

1. First, show courses in descending chronological order, based on the "Term" setting.
2. Within a given term, sort alphabetically.

You are correct that Courses in this directory are generated automatically when the Primary Purpose is Teaching, after the 1.15 release. See https://gist.github.com/boonebgorges/158cfd27708017f4939ef11c9e17a53d#group-creation

#8 Updated by Sonja Leix 3 months ago

Boone Gorges wrote:

Hi Sonja - Sort order is:

1. First, show courses in descending chronological order, based on the "Term" setting.
2. Within a given term, sort alphabetically.

You are correct that Courses in this directory are generated automatically when the Primary Purpose is Teaching, after the 1.15 release. See https://gist.github.com/boonebgorges/158cfd27708017f4939ef11c9e17a53d#group-creation

Thanks, Boone. And are we already planning to introduce any filtering on this page based on the new meta data we're collecting? (related ticket: #8897). We should probably create a new ticket for this unless we already have one or should use #8897.

#9 Updated by Boone Gorges 3 months ago

Hi Sonja - I don't think there's an existing ticket for it, no. #8897 is a good ticket for thinking generally about how our directory filters work, but I don't think we need to hold up any beneficial work here by trying to solve it all at once - there are existing UI conventions on the directories that we could probably reuse for the purposes of course filters. I'd suggest starting a new ticket, which would reference #8897 as a related issue.

#10 Updated by Sonja Leix 3 months ago

Boone Gorges wrote:

Hi Sonja - I don't think there's an existing ticket for it, no. #8897 is a good ticket for thinking generally about how our directory filters work, but I don't think we need to hold up any beneficial work here by trying to solve it all at once - there are existing UI conventions on the directories that we could probably reuse for the purposes of course filters. I'd suggest starting a new ticket, which would reference #8897 as a related issue.

Thanks Boone. I just added a new ticket to explore a consistent directory filter UI (#11395).

#11 Updated by Sonja Leix about 1 month ago

Matt and Colin,
if you could share a little more thoughts around how many courses you'd like to feature at the top of the courses page and any additional thoughts you have about the format. Why would courses be featured there? How often do featured courses in that section change?

I'll mock something up once I have a little more clarity on those questions.

Thanks!

#12 Updated by Sonja Leix about 1 month ago

I still would like to explore the purpose and logic of the featured courses more, but maybe a mockup will help start the conversation.
See attached.

#13 Updated by scott voth about 1 month ago

Great start! Could we add the group or site avatar to the list so it is similar to the site and group tabs?

#14 Updated by Sonja Leix 30 days ago

scott voth wrote:

Great start! Could we add the group or site avatar to the list so it is similar to the site and group tabs?

Thanks for the suggestion Scott! Courses itself, as I understand it, don't have an avatar of their own. If we would incorporate the group and / or site avatars on the Courses landing page, those might:
A: be displayed quite small next to the site / group links
B: might take away visual focus from the actual course

Now, if there is a reason to elevate an associated site or group's avatar and display it more prominently next to the courses title, like we do on the group and site landing page, we can certainly talk about that. But we'd need to define which avatar to pick if a course is associated with a group AND a site – see screenshot attached.

#15 Updated by Laurie Hurson 26 days ago

Hi All,

At the Domains 2019 Conference a few weeks ago I saw a presentation from Tim Clarke who runs the Domains of One's Own instance at Muhlenberg College. In their domains instance students are running stand alone wordpress sites but he wanted to build a community site to pull these sites together and make them searchable and discoverable based on site metadata, much like we are doing with the courses tab. The Muhlenberg community site (on slide 4, linked below) looks a bit like one of Sonja's mock ups (11298-courses-tab-v1.jpg).

This might be way off but I thought his presentation might lend some insight and/or provide ideas for development of the courses tab. Major caveat: I realize their install is technically different from ours (many single WP sites vs. a multisite) so I apologize if none of these ideas are actionable.

A couple takeaways from the presentation:
- Using the metadata he created a faceted way (through juried.json, i think?) to search and filter sites (i.e. you can see [1] history courses at [2]BMCC). Since we are beginning to collect metadata on sites, this might be something to consider in the future

- He used node.js and puppeteer to automate screenshots of the sites to populate the community site. If possible, creating an automated way to collect screenshots might inform our design of the courses tab.

Here is more info from the presentation:

Slides: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zFYxpcjD4uHsUlvBXrwutNxljUPSHhly/view

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCYBxrFkR1A&list=PLpK5svzslv8qi8YZjqJqKS2hLEGwnUPF0&index=4

Again, apologies if none of this is applicable but I figured I would share just in case.

#16 Updated by Sonja Leix 19 days ago

Laurie Hurson wrote:

Hi All,

At the Domains 2019 Conference a few weeks ago I saw a presentation from Tim Clarke who runs the Domains of One's Own instance at Muhlenberg College. In their domains instance students are running stand alone wordpress sites but he wanted to build a community site to pull these sites together and make them searchable and discoverable based on site metadata, much like we are doing with the courses tab. The Muhlenberg community site (on slide 4, linked below) looks a bit like one of Sonja's mock ups (11298-courses-tab-v1.jpg).

Thanks for sharing this! Always good to see other examples out there that resonate.

A couple takeaways from the presentation:
- Using the metadata he created a faceted way (through juried.json, i think?) to search and filter sites (i.e. you can see [1] history courses at [2]BMCC). Since we are beginning to collect metadata on sites, this might be something to consider in the future

We're looking to work on a universal filtering/sorting option for section like the Courses tab, see https://redmine.gc.cuny.edu/issues/11395

Also available in: Atom PDF